October 25, 2011

The Church Brew Works - Blast Furnace Stout

The last of the four standard beers the brewery offers is their rotating stout. They constantly rotate their stouts to celebrate the variety of stouts all over the world. They may brew a more traditional stout or use ingredients like espresso or coconut. On our trip, we had the Blast Furnace Stout. They blend oats, barley malt, and very darkly roasted barley. It is 13.5°P, 30 IBUs, and 4.8% ABV.

Overall average rating: 6.0/10

The color is very opaque, almost black. The aromas we note are coffee, cherry, and a slight copper. It is a light tasting beer, not very overpowering. It has a front tongue bite and starts out thick like a stout and then thins out.

Shawn- This is a stout I could drink in the summer; I even notice a hint of coconut in the aroma. It is thin and doesn't develop as much as I'd hoped, 6/10.
Angela- It is not nearly as thick and rich as I had expected, and I notice a slight bubble gum aroma/taste again, 5.5/10.
Chris- I like that it's not heavy - it is a versatile stout with a slight copper taste. I actually prefer it to Guinness, 6.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment