October 26, 2011

The Church Brew Works - Aultered Rye Ale

After finishing the four house beers, we moved onto the four specialty beers. The first is the Aultured Rye Ale. This is a traditional Rogger style beer with a twist - lemongrass.The lemongrass flavor is supposed to be subtle and noticed right up front and in the aroma. It is 13.5°P, 15 IBUs, and 5.0% ABV.

Overall average rating: 6.8/10

It is a translucent red color with a malty rye aroma. We also notice a slight hop aroma, as well as a distinct sweet scent from the rye (perhaps the lemongrass?). There is a rye flavor with a front/mid tongue bite. (I'd like to point out that we did not know about the lemongrass ingredient prior to drinking it, and we never specifically noticed the lemongrass flavor, which is a flavor Shawn normally can identify.)

Shawn- I think this is a nice, well done beer that reminds me of fall, although it lacks a complexity which I would have liked, 7/10.
Angela- This is a little thin for my taste, but it is a sessionable autumn beer - reminds me of colorful, crunchy leaves and a chill in the air, 7/10.
Chris- It lives up to its name because of the rye flavor throughout the beer. It's simple and done well, but I expected more. The aroma reminds me of Killian's or Great Divide Hoss, 6.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment