November 16, 2011

Stone - Smoked Porter

Our second to last beer of porter week is Stone Smoked Porter purchased at Vintage Estates.


This beer was first released in December 1996, and the ingredients are nothing but barley, hops, water, and yeast. There is a different and amazing gargoyle on each label as well as a long description of each beer on every bottle from this brewery. The label also says: "We also feel that it's okay to brew styles of beer that not everyone appreciates - yet that some people also LOVE." This has 53 IBUs and is 5.9% ABV.

Overall average rating: 5.8/10

This pours a dark read amber and is nearly opaque. The thick mocha head even holds up a bottle cap! The aroma is a sharp citrus hop with light malt and a touch of smoke. The taste is bitter, thin, and hoppy with a mid tongue bite. There is an extremely light smoke flavor upon exhaling that goes away quickly as opposed to Weyerbacher's Fireside Ale where the smoke flavor climbs up your throat.

Shawn- It's named a porter but I feel it isn't because it's too thin. I am not a fan of the hoppy finish; I expected a dark, rich, leathery beer, 6/10.
Angela- I don't normally like hoppy beers, but I find this to be drinkable albeit thin. It's my fallback beer when we go to the Draught House, 6/10.
Chris- Initially, I'm like a kid eating cereal with Stone beers except I'm reading a bottle instead of the box. I disagree with the style classification - it's more of a smoked black IPA than a smoked porter, but it is drinkable, 5.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment