October 2, 2011

Southern Tier - Harvest

Today's beer is Southern Tier Harvest Special Ale, purchased from Vintage Estate Wine & Beer.

The label is orange and tan with a picture of wheat at the bottom - Shawn thinks it's a little boring. The beer is brewed with 4 varieties of hops and 2 types of malts. It is an English-style Extra Special Bitter and 6.7% ABV.

Overall average rating: 4.8/10

The appearance was a clear/translucent amber, with a slight off-white head that faded fast. The aroma is citrus hoppy, the guys guess cascade and/or simcoe hops. The taste gives a slight hop bite at the back of the tongue with a clean hop finish.

Shawn- Southern Tier usually makes amazing beer, but in my opinion, this is not one of them. I was expecting more of an autumn beer and less of an IPA taste. Simply because this beer is darker in color does not make it an autumn beer, 4/10.
Angela- I usually love Southern Tier beers - I find that the name of their beers usually let you know exactly what it will taste like (e.g. pumking, choklat), but this was somehwat unexpected. It was a little hoppy for my liking, though I could see this as a lawnmower beer on a warm day.. perhaps a raking leaves beer?, 5/10.
Chris- The hop taste is consistent throughout the beer, although I would classify this more as an IPA than a fall/harvest beer. This is one I would drink in the springtime more than in the fall, 5.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment