October 7, 2011

The Bruery - Autumn Maple

Our final Harvest beer is The Bruery Autumn Maple, purchased at Vintage Estates.


The label is red, orange, and autumny with a really well-worded description. It is explained how the beer should be served (temperature, what type of glass), as well as how to properly store it (it can be aged up to five years). It is bottle-conditioned, unfiltered, and brewed with yams (17lbs. per barrel!), molasses, maple syrup, and spices. It boasts: "We don't need pumpkin in our beer! Big, bold, spicy, and oh so yammy, our delicious Brown Ale is perfect for those cold autumn nights."

Can I just say how much I love that they used the phrase "oh so yammy"?! Anyway..

Overall average rating: 5.8/10

We poured this bottle into a large pitcher to properly distribute the yeast in the beer. It is red and caramelly and very difficult to see through, as bottle-conditioned beers tend to be. It yields a big, frothy, long-lasting head, although there was no lace which one would expect from a bottle-conditioned beer. The aroma gives off smells of maple and sweet potato, as well as a little apple even though there is no apple in it. There is a woody taste (Shawn says it's birch), with a very slight tongue bite and a yammy molasses finish.

Shawn- It looks like a good hard cider, but it's not. It reminds me of a mediocre attempt of Life & Limb (a collaboration of Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada), but it needs bitterness/hops to counteract the sweetness, 6/10.
Angela- I was incredibly excited to try this simply based on the description. The aroma was wonderful, but the taste left a little to be desired. I am going to buy a bottle to set aside, however, so I can enjoy it with my family's Thanksgiving dinner. I think it would pair really well with those flavors based on the ingredients, 5.5/10.
Chris- This beer gave me a flavor combination of apple pie and sweet potato pie. I also get a definite cider smell and taste, even with no apple in it. It has a lot of flavor but not a lot of body; it could use more malt. I was slightly disappointed considering how much it was talked up, but I would still drink it again, 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment