October 1, 2011

Heavy Seas Mutiny Fleet - Hop Haarvest Ale

Our first week is Autumn/Harvest beers. With the cooler temperatures and the leaves beginning to change, it seems like a good place to start.


Our first beer for the week is Heavy Seas Hop Haarvest Ale from their Mutiny Fleet purchased from Vintage Estate Wine & Beer. Shawn really likes the dead pirate American Gothic image on the label, as well as the quote: "Sailors tell stories...Pyrates make legends!" This beer is designed to showcase flavors from locally grown Maryland "wet" hops. It is porter in style and 5% ABV.

Overall average rating: 5.2/10

The appearance is a dark caramelly amber, with a well-carbonated light beige head (similar to soda) that is quick to fade. The primary aroma is malt that builds to a citrusy hop smell. As for taste, it seems thin for a porter style. The hops hit the sides and back of the tongue, and while the hop flavor is not overwhelming, it is definitely there.

Shawn- I am a little disappointed because it seems too thin for a porter, and I don't think hops should overpower malt in a porter style, 4.5/10.
Angela- I am not a fan of hoppy beers, but I do enjoy the light hoppy flavor of this. I expected it to be somewhat thicker based on the color and style, but it is something I would drink again, 6/10.
Chris- It's something I could drink toward the end of summer because it is a lighter beer. I would classify this more as a dark IPA than porter-like in terms of flavor, 5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment