October 4, 2011

Breckenridge - After Rakin' Autumn Ale

Day 4 of Harvest week is Breckenridge After Rakin' Autumn Ale, purchased at Vintage Estate Wine & Beer.


Remember when I said that Southern Tier's Harvest Ale could be a good "raking leaves beer"? Little did I know there already was an "after rakin'" ale! The label is brown and tan with leaves - very autumn appropriate. It is made with Bavarian hops and Munich malts, and "warms the soul, soothes the spirit." It is an Old Ale and 6.7% ABV.

Overall average rating: 7.5/10

As this beer was being poured, I commented how "dark and delicious" it looked. It has a caramel and dark red color, and it is borderline opaque. It also has an off-white head that diminishes quickly. It has a unique, sweet woody aroma. The thick sweet smell reminded us of caramel and molasses. The taste is definitely thicker than the previous beers, although the guys find that it smells thicker than it tastes. It is refreshing with a distinct maltiness, like an English bock, with a sour malt finish.

Shawn- This would be a very good beer to drink after working outside in the fall. I will definitely drink this again. I find that the more I drink of it, the more I want to drink it, 7/10.
Angela- LOVE this beer. I will absolutely drink this again, and I can see it as an after rakin' beer.. or perhaps a relaxing in front of the fire beer :), 9/10.
Chris- This beer is very appropriate for the time of year. It is well-named and would be a good beer to enjoy cold on a cool day, 6.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment