January 7, 2012

Arcadia Ales - Cereal Killer Barleywine Ale

We end our journey by coming back to Michigan, this time to Battle Creek (home of Kellogg's!), to visit Arcadia Ales Brewing (the website is currently under construction) to drink their Cereal Killer Barleywine Ale purchased at Vintage Estates.


This is brewed in the traditional English style of Barleywines. Having a high alcohol level allows this beer to be great for aging. As it ages, the beer will develop more sherry-like flavors and aromas similar to a cask-aged port. It has 70 IBUs and is 10% ABV.

Overall average rating: 7.0/10

This is a translucent cloudy amber beer with a quickly diminishing, frothy off-white head. We smell yeast, barley, grapes, brown sugar, and a little clove. The flavors are a little hop, a touch of banana and chocolate, as well as a sweet wood flavor - maybe cherry wood?

Shawn- It smells more like a Belgian than a Barleywine to me. The flavors are somewhat muddled, almost like they aren't individually added. It could have been amazing, but it lacks palatability and needs blended better, 7/10.
Angela- To me, it tastes like a Barleywine, which is not my favorite style of beer, 6.5/10.
Chris- When I think of a Barleywine, I think of Hog Heaven from Avery.I might mistake this for a Belgian dubbel more than a Barleywine. I think if it were aged, the flavors would become more defined and I'd give it a higher rating, 7.5/10.

1 comment:

  1. I just sampled this barleywine with a friend yesterday. I enjoyed it, but I think your comments are very insightful. My friend wasn't very fond of it, but He doesn't like barleywines. He typically doesn't go for dark beers at all, being more of an IPA fan. We also tried Dark Horse (Marshall, MI) Plead the Fifth Imperial and Fore Smoked stouts and preferred the latter (although I am keen on imperial stouts).

    ReplyDelete