January 1, 2012

21st Amendment - Hell or High Watermelon

Happy New Year! We're kicking off 2012 with a stop in Cold Springs, Minnesota, at the 21st Amendment Brewery to have their Hell or High Watermelon canned beer purchased at the Cornersburg Party Shop.

"Like Lady Liberty, we stand for independence and perseverance. In the pursuit of innovative beer, there is no obstacle too great. No journey too long. No fruit too gigantic. This American wheat beer is brewed with real watermelon, for a flavor that's surprisingly crisp, dry and refreshing—summer in a can." This beer is a summer seasonal, available from April to September. It starts off as a traditional American wheat beer with fresh watermelon added during a secondary fermentation. It has 17 IBUs and is 4.9% ABV.

Overall average rating: 6.9/10

The color is a translucent straw color with a white head. There are aromas of wheat, light barley, light citrus, and a hint of watermelon. The tastes starts out with wheat, with a front/mid tongue bite, and ends with a watermelon finish on the back of the tongue.

Shawn- I wish it was 110 F out - I love to drink this when it's hot out, but unfortunately it's December in Ohio so my score is somewhat effected. I love the watermelon finish, although I think the drinkability diminishes slightly in cold temperatures, 6.5/10.
Angela- It reminds me of a watered down watermelon Jolly Rancher. It is a uniquely refreshing summer beer, 7.25/10.
Shawn- This is a very adventurous beer as there are no other watermelon beers. It's like a Hefeweizen. I didn't rate it higher because I want more watermelon. The more it warms, the more wheat and less melon I taste, 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment