January 16, 2012

Morland - "Old Speckled Hen" English Fine Ale

Our next English brew is from Suffolk, UK, and is Morland Brewery's Old Speckled Hen.


This brewery was established in 1711, and it was first brewed "to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the MG Car Factory and affectionately named after an old MG car used as a factory run around - 'The Owld Speck'd Un.'" It is 5.2% ABV.

Overall average rating: 6.0/10

It is an orangey color with a moderately diminishing frothy head. We smell malt as well as citrus and bitter hops; Chris identifies at least 2. The taste is malty, which is standard for English beers.

Shawn- I've had this on nitro; obviously bottled is different. I like the consistency of the flavors, but they don't really develop. It's a good beer for the price, but I wish the maltiness richened more, 6.25/10.
Angela- I don't care for the smell at all, and although it tastes a lot better, it's not something I'd choose to drink again, 5.5/10.
Chris- This is exactly what I would expect from an English Pub lager, 6.25/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment