November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving with The Bruery Trade Winds

Ironically, we celebrate this Thanksgiving with The Bruery Trade Winds, their summer seasonal, purchased at Vintage Estates.


This Belgian-style Ale is brewed with rice and Thai basil. Thie Belgian and Southeast Asian inspired Tripel brings spice from the East and yeast from the West. "Since there is fresh Thai basil in this Tripel, it is best enjoyed fresh. The ideal serving temperature is 45° F, and it will taste best served in a tulip/wine glass." It has 25 IBUs and is 8.1% ABV.

Overall average rating: 7.0/10

It pours a beautiful Belgian color - a cloudy, straw color - with a thick white head and a lot of lacing. We think we smell oats, as well as basil, rice, wheat, and citrusy hops. The taste has a lemony bite and is more hoppy than other Belgian tripels, although it is a fairly good attempt at an American version of this style. There is a slight dryness, most likely the rice, and it is sharp and refreshing.

Shawn- They made the basil flavor relevant and it has a super clean flavor enjoyable any time of the year, 7.5/10.
Angela- I like it, but I think I would personally enjoy it much more with food (Rex suggests a ribeye/steak dinner with sweet onions), 6.5/10.
Chris- I like this because of its delicate flavors, although I think it can use a little less lemon, 7/10.


*You may remember our previous beer from this brewery, and I said I thought it would be better with Thanksgiving dinner. Well, I bought a bottle and drank it with my meal. I think it helped the flavors somewhat, but not as much as I'd hoped. I still think these beers are better with a meal than by themselves. -Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment