October 11, 2011

J. K.'s Scrumpy Hard Cider - Farmhouse Organic

We're halfway through Cider Week! Tonight's drink of choice is J. K.'s Scrumpy Hard Cider - Farmhouse Organic, purchased at Vintage Estates.


This hand-bottled, unfiltered, and organic cider is gluten free with no sulfites added. The apples used are grown at the Koan Family Orchards in Michigan. "We have produced hard ciders since the 1860s. This is the same traditional recipe that helped save our farm during the great depression." Scrumpy is an English-style farmhouse cider, and while this is not an English-style cider, it is definitely farmhouse. The ingredients are listed (fresh apple juice, yeast), as well as this quote: "He that drinks his Cyder alone, let him catch his Horse alone" -Benjamin Franklin. It is 6% ABV.
Overall average rating: 9.0/10

This cider is golden and opaque with no head; it is not very carbonated. The aroma is a delicious apple juice scent, much sweeter smelling than the previous ciders. The taste is very cidery - very sweet, lightly tart, cinnamon, nutmeg. Yum.

Shawn- This is exactly what I expect from apple cider - cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, honey. I love that it's unfiltered with pieces of apple skin inside. I don't think I'll have a better cider this year. It really reminds me of White House Fruit Farm, 9/10.
Angela- I smell apple juice, but I definitely get more of an apple cider taste like Shawn described, especially the cinnamon and honey. Again, I was proven wrong when I said I liked tart ciders better. It is very drinkable and sooooo delicious, 9/10.
Chris- This reminds me of cinnamon applesauce. It is another cider I would recommend to anyone. It tastes like the apple cider from my youth that would sit in the fridge just a little too long and begin to ferment itself, 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment